Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Telemarketing Revenge

The phone rang as I was sitting down to my evening meal, and as I answered

it, I was greeted with, "Is this Karl Brummer?" -- not sounding anything

like my name, I asked who was calling.

The telemarketer said he was with 'The Rubber Band Powered Freezer

Company', or something like that. Then I asked him if he knew Karl

personally and why he was calling this number. I then said off to the

side, "Get some pictures of the body at various angles and the blood

smears." I then turned back to the phone and advised the caller that he

had connected with a murder scene and must stay on the line because we had

already traced the call and he would most likely be issued a summons to

testify in this murder case.

I questioned the caller at great length as to his name, address, phone

number at home and at work, who he worked for, how he knew the dead guy,

and could he prove where he had been about one hour before he made this

call.

The telemarketer was getting very concerned, and his answers were given in

a shaky voice. I then told him that we had located his position and the

police would be entering the building to take him into custody for more

questioning. At that point, I heard the phone drop and the scurrying of

his running away.

My wife asked me, as I returned to the table, why I had tears streaming

down my face, and so help me, I couldn't tell her for about 15 minutes.

My meal was cold, but it was the best meal I had eaten in a long, long time.

No comments: